Temporary connections to a water main
Customers often need to temporarily draw water directly from Bristol Water’s mains network. This can be for a variety of reasons including for welfare facilities, events, festivals, cleaning, construction and even to water carefully nurtured blooms.
To connect to the Bristol Water mains network for any reason, an authorised standpipe from Bristol Water must be used. The Standpipe Hire team is on hand to support you. All standpipes are metered and water used will be charged at the current Bristol Water rate.
What do I need to know before hiring a standpipe?
Available standpipes and what they can be used for.
Two types of standpipes are available for hire:
- 15mm with ¾-inch bore (delivers approx. 1 litre per second)
- High-flow 64mm with 2½-inch bore (delivers approx. 4 litres per second)
Standpipes are hired to draw water for a range of purposes, including:
- Domestic use such as drinking, cooking, and washing – for example, for events, festivals, site welfare facilities or temporary domestic supply. Bristol Water will chlorinate both the hydrant/washout and standpipe before hire for domestic use.
- Non-domestic use – for example, filling bowsers/tankers, use at construction/demolition sites, watering plants and trees, cleaning windows or solar panels.
Where can and can’t our standpipes be used?
15mm standpipes can be used on any standard fire hydrant or washout in the Bristol Water supply area that does not have logging equipment. High-flow 64mm standpipes are restricted for use on designated filling points to avoid causing burst mains, poor pressures and water discolouration for other customers. Designated filling points are adapted to only take a 64mm standpipe and marked with a red lid.
We advise you to visit your intended location to identify an appropriate hydrant/washout for your use before hiring a standpipe. Please do contact us if you still need more information on the appropriate hydrants/washouts for what you need and where you need it.
I'd like to apply to hire a standpipe
You should visit the location and consider the purpose to identify what you need and where it will be used.
- Ensure you've read the information and T&Cs on our website.
- Complete the online application form, allowing at least a full working day for this to be processed before collection.
- For domestic use, allow up to 10 working days for inspection and chlorination of the intended hydrant/washout.
- If you're a new standpipe hire customer, include company information on headed paper.
- You may be asked to clarify aspects of your application before it is processed.
- You will be set up as a new customer, if necessary.
- We will confirm your hire and issue an invoice for the deposit to be paid before collection.
- If you're hiring on an annual basis, the full pre-payment amount will be included on the invoice for payment before collection.
- For domestic use, we will arrange a Network Inspector to visit, inspect and chlorinate the hydrant/washout to be used.
- The deposit (and any other pre-payment) must be cleared before the standpipe can be collected.
- Payment can be made via card over the phone or bank transfer.
Once payment is received, your standpipe can be collected from Bristol Water's Barrow Logistics Centre.
You've got your standpipe. You must follow all usage instructions and take appropriate measures to keep yourself and all Bristol Water equipment safe.
We will contact you for regular meter readings to accurately bill your water consumption alongside your hire charges.
If you experience any issues, please contact us. For emergencies out of normal working hours, please contact the main Bristol Water Customer Services team.
Contact us when you'd like to off hire. An off-hire form will be prepared for when the standpipe is returned.
The standpipe will be inspected and tested. You will be informed of any damage.
You will receive a final bill including any outstanding water consumption charges, hire charges and loss, damage or repair charges. You will either be refunded your deposit or your final bill will be reduced by the value of your deposit.
If you need to contact the team please call 0345 600 0220 or email email@example.com
What do I need to know when using a standpipe?
If you need to contact the team, please call 0345 600 0220 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All standpipes are metered and water used will be charged at the current Bristol Water rate. Equipment can be delivered across the region. There is a charge for this service.
- Using an ILLEGAL standpipe constitutes the crime of theft from Bristol Water. Please make sure you have read all the information below, including the Standpipe Hire Terms and Conditions, before you apply for a standpipe.
- Anyone found to have caused damage to the mains network will be held fully liable and we will look to recover the costs of repairing this damage. If you think you've spotted the illegal use of a standpipe, please call us on 0345 600 0220 or email email@example.com