This Privacy Notice is designed to explain how we collect and use our customers' personal data.
Bristol Water plc (Bristol Water) is committed to protecting our customers' data, uphold their data rights, and meet their expectations for handling personal data. The Notice is designed to be easy to use and understand, if you have any concerns or would like more detail please follow ‘Get in touch’.
What information are you looking for...
What personal data we collect
We will always endeavour to make clear why we are collecting your personal data at the time.
We will collect your personal data whenever you fill in a form, contact us (including by social media), pay us, request a service, provide feedback, or enter a competition or survey.
- Account and card details – account number and sort code, account holders name, direct debit details
- Contact details – postal address, email address, mobile or landline numbers
- Personal details – name, date of birth
For certain customers we might ask for health information too. This is where a health condition could impact your usage, for example requiring an above average use, or needing a constant supply. We will use the health data to assess requirements and ensure we provide the services required. We will only ever do this with your explicit consent, which can be withdrawn at any time.
Purpose for collecting your personal data
We will only collect data where we have a clear and legal basis to do so. Listed below are the legal bases we rely on and the specific purposes associated with them:
- Water Industry Act 1991
- Water Resources Act 1991
- Environment Act 1995
- Water Industry Act 1999
- Water Act 2014
- Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999
- Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016
- Instrument of Appointment as issued by the Secretary of State for the Environment
- Provide water supply services and products
- Administer a customer’s account, including billing, requests, enquiries, and complaints
- Contact our customers about service related issues, including interruption to supply, planned maintenance, roadworks, and water quality
- Make goodwill, bond, and compensation payments
- Communicate with you about products and services we provide, including water efficiency measures
- Carry out and analyse customer surveys
- Carry out staff training and quality assurance
- Use aggregated data to understand customer trends in lifestyle and water consumption, and to assist in business planning
- Comply with any regulatory obligations we may have
- Ensure we operate to the expectations of a responsible water company
- Handle responses to public consultations, such as our Drought Plan
- Maintain our land holdings and sites
- Keep our records accurate and up-to-date
- Carry out credit checks (for more information see the ‘Credit checks’ section)
- Prevent and detect crime, including fraud
- Assess eligibility for a social tariff based on health or financial circumstances
- Assess and provide operational and service requirements based on health circumstances
These purposes may be executed by us or one of our third party service providers.
Our Data Protection Officer
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) who is responsible for monitoring our compliance with data protection legislation. To contact the DPO please see our ‘Contact Us’ page.
Bristol Water is a water-only company and a statutory water undertaker supplying customers in the Bristol and South West area. We are part of the Bristol Water group, which the simplified diagram below explains:
We may share your personal data across these group companies. Bristol Wessex Billing Services (also known as BWBSL or Pelican Business Services) is a joint venture company with Wessex Water Services Ltd, and provides billing and certain customer services functions for us. For more details please see the ‘Who we share your data with’ section.
We are a registered data controller, registration number: Z5277208.
This means it is our responsibility to maintain and protect all personal data that we collect and ensure that anyone we share personal data with will also adequately protect that data.
Get in touch
Feel free to call our dedicated team to discuss anything listed above.