Using your stop tap

This article helps you to find and use your stop tap.

Stop taps are used to turn the water supply on and off to your property.

This is important for instance if you are having any plumbing or building work done at your property or to turn off the water in case of an emergency

Where do I find my stop tap?

A property will normally have an external stop and an internal stop tap.

Internal stop tap

The internal stop tap is used to turn the water supply on and off to your property. In most properties the stop tap is located inside, close to where the water pipe enters the building. The location can vary but they can usually be found:

  • Under a kitchen sink
  • Kitchen cupboard
  • In a connecting garage or utility room
  • Bathroom
  • Cellar
  • Cloakroom
  • Under the stairs

The owner or landlord of the property is responsible for all repairs and maintenance of all inside stop taps.

External stop tap

An external stop tap controls the main water supply to your property which is our responsibility.  External stop taps are used for turning off the water during a water leak or if you are unable to find or operate your internal stop.

An external stop stop is usually located at the following and you may need a stop tap key to open it:

  • Footpath
  • Verge
  • Just inside your property boundary under a plastic or metal cover
  • In your meter chamber

If you water supply is shared with other properties, remember to tell your neighbours beforehand that you are the turning off the external stop tap.

Useful resources...

Need a little more help...

We recommend contacting a locally approved plumber at WaterSafe for queries concerning your internal stop tap.

If you are unable to carry out this yourself and you don’t have anyone to help you, please contact us.