The Company Today
Bristol Water has supplied drinking water for over 167 years, always striving to provide high quality services and value for money.
We serve a population of 1.1 million people and all the associated businesses in an area of 2,400 square kilometres (1,000 square miles) centred on Bristol. Our area of supply ranges from Thornbury and Tetbury in the north to Street and Glastonbury in the south, from Weston-super-Mare in the west to Frome in the east. We provide a bulk supply of water to Bath. Wessex Water provide sewerage services in much of our area.
We own three major reservoirs (Chew, Blagdon and Cheddar) and a number of boreholes as sources of raw water. But nearly half the water used in our area comes from rivers outside our area of supply including the River Severn.
We have a range of treatment works from the simple to the highly complex. These feed water into a network of pumping stations, storage reservoirs and mains so that we can deliver high quality water to customers’ properties as they want to use it.
On average each person uses over a tonne (1,000 litres) of water each week.
Facts and Figures:
- Area of supply - 2,400 square kilometres
- Number of supplies - 518,000
- Length of mains - 6,700 kilometres
- Population served - 1,151,000
- Average daily supply - 264 million litres
- Sources - 68 (including reservoirs, rivers, springs, wells and boreholes)
- Raw water reservoirs - 14 (the largest, Chew Lake, can hold 20,460 million litres)
- Treatment works - 16 (output ranges from 2 million litres/day at Tetbury to 165 million litres/day at Purton)
- Pumping stations - 164
- Covered storage reservoirs - 139 (the largest, Pucklechurch, can hold 115 million litres)
Group Structure / Shareholding
Bristol Water plc is owned by iCON Infrastructure Partners III, L.P. (50%), iCON Infrastructure Partners III (Bristol), L.P. (30%) and Itochu Corporation of Japan (20%).
Click on the pdf below to view the Corporate Governance code at Bristol Water plc.