How do I report a leak?

We take leakage very seriously and thank you for wanting to report a leak.

Please note; if you are wanting to report a severe leak, loss of pressure, no water, dangerous cover, or any operational emergency, please call our helpline on 0345 702 3797. The ‘Report a Leak’ service is solely for reporting visible leaks that Bristol Water may not be currently aware of.

If you have checked our ‘Work in your Area’ map, and there is no visible report of the leak on our map, please log the location of the leak using the following link: You will need to click on the top left-hand menu button and choose the ‘Report a Leak’ option. Please try to drop the pin as close as possible to where the leak is visible on the map.

Alternatively, you can report a leak by calling our Leakline number: 0800 801011.

What standard do fittings need to conform to?

The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations and Scottish Water Byelaws give three routes in demonstrating that it is of an appropriate quality or standard.

  1.  It bears an appropriate CE marking in accordance with the Directive Regulation (EU) No 305/2011 of the European Parliament and of the Council laying down harmonised conditions for the marketing of construction products
  2. It conforms to an appropriate British Standard or some other national specification of an EEA State which provides an equivalent level of protection and performance; or
  3. It conforms to a specification approved by the regulator The WRAS Approval directory lists a range of fittings and products which have demonstrated – against the Regulator’s Specification – they comply with these Regulations and Byelaws when correctly installed.

Where should the incoming stop tap be located?

In relation to stop taps the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations and Scottish Water Byelaws set 2 requirements.
The first is that every supply pipe to separate premises to have a conveniently located stopvalve which can isolate it without affecting any other premises. Government guidance recommends that this should be as close as practicable to the point where the pipe enters the building – commonly known as the point of entry – and is the normal location for it.
The second requirement is – where a supply or distributing pipe serves two or more premises there shall be a stopvalve that is readily accessible for each occupier – this usually means in a communal area such as a service cupboard.

Do the regulations or bylaws require me to remove old lead pipes?

No – The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations and Scottish Water Bye laws do not require lawfully installed fittings to be modified or removed.
However it is widely recognised that lead can have a harmful affect and most water supplier’s recommend and encourage the replacement of old lead pipes.
If you are concerned about lead in drinking water talk to your water supplier.

What temperature should cold water be distributed at?

So far as is reasonably practical the temperature of water within cold water pipes should not be warmed above 25°C and ideally not above 20°C. Adequate measures should be taken to ensure that this temperature is not exceeded.

How should I seal the duct as it comes into my property?

The purpose of sealing ducts is to protect the property from the ingress of gas or vermin, or if they are between floors of a building to provide a fire break.
There are many site specific factors which have to be taken into account when deciding on the appropriate method of sealing ducts. Contact your water supplier for advice and to discuss your proposals to ensure no adverse consequences occur.

Can I use blue MDPE Polyethylene pipe above ground?

Blue MDPE plastic pipe is designed for below ground use, however it may be used above ground in situations where it is not exposed to light and is protected against:

  • undue warming
  • freezing
  • potential contamination from the environment.

What insulation should I use for new supplies?

External water supplies can be subjected to localised climatic conditions which may require specific precautions – it is best to talk to the local water supplier about any specific requirements they may have.

I am installing a new water service pipe and need to know how deep the trench should be?

There are minimum and maximum depths at which service pipes should be laid:
Minimum depth is 750 mm
Maximum depth is 1350 mm
If you wish to install the service pipe either deeper or shallower than these depths you must notify the local water supplier for permission.
Important note: The gas service should be at 600mm to ensure separation from the water service pipe.

What is the difference between a Check Valve (CV) and a non-return valve (NRV)?

“A check valve is specific type of valve which can prevent back flow from occurring. It has to be tested and meet very strict criteria, which ensures fluids are not able to be siphoned back into drinking water systems.
Non-return valves, often similar in design to check valves, are not able to meet this strict criteria.”

Emergency hotline: 0345 702 3797 (24 Hour)

Work in your area

Find latest work in your area

To find out the latest on work in your area please enter your postcode into our interactive map
Read more >

Emergency news

Is there an on-going incident in your area? Find out the latest information
Read more >

Major Schemes

Further information on our current schemes can be found on the left hand side of this page
Read more >