Helpful garden tips
Take these simple water saving measures and you’ll be well on the way to having a ‘blooming lovely’ garden without wasting water.
- Don’t cut lawns too short, as longer grass sends down deeper roots
- Plant trees and shrubs in well rotted, water-retaining compost and cover soil with 2” layer of bark
- Collect rainwater off greenhouse, shed, garage and house roofs in water butts
- Water plants in the early morning or late evening when evaporation is minimal
- Mix water-storing granules in with potting compost when planting up tubs and hanging baskets
A Gardening Year in the West
The 16th Century philosopher Francis Bacon once said, “Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed.” and nowhere does this apply more than in a garden. To garden successfully you should work hand-in-hand with Nature, co-operating with soil and weather conditions, rather than battling against them. Our leaflet below gives advice to help you month by month.
Click on the leaflet below for our ‘Top Tips’ for looking after a Water-smart garden.